2015- 2019 PhD. in Environmental Geochemistry in the Department of Geochemistry, University of Federal Fluminense, Brazil; granted a scholarship from the CNPq.
Thesis: "Effects of A Pathogen And A Consortium Of Beneficial Microorganisms For Coral (BMCs) Under Different Temperature Conditions On The Skeleton Structure”
2007-2010 - M.Sc. in Marine Biology, University of Hormozgan, Iran
Thesis: "Coral Reefs Biodiversity And Distribution In Shallow Coastal Waters f Qeshm Island, The Northern Persian Gulf, Iran" [Thesis grade: 20 out of 20]
2005-2007- B.Sc. in Environmental Health Engineering, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
2002-2005 - Associate Degree in Environmental Health, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Employment History in Iran
2014- Environmental Impact Assessment Director in Bonab Steel Industry Complex, Bonab, Iran.
2013- Marine Researcher in Persian Gulf Marine Medicine Biotechnology Research Center, Busheher University of Medical Sciences, Busheher, Iran.
2011- Assistant Researcher in Artemia and Aquatic Animals Research Institute, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran.
2009 -Consultant in Environment Sector in Shahre Sabz Anamis Company, Bandar Abbas, Iran.
2009- Bandar Abbas Wastewater Treatment Plant operation manager, Bandar Abbas, Iran.
2008-Assistant Researcher in Persian Gulf Biotechnology Research Center (PGBRC), Qeshm Island, Iran.
I was graduated in Environmental Health Engineering at Universities of Medical Sciences. This has given good occasions to me to understand better the impacts of human activities on environment ecosystems. I got much knowledge about water and wastewater characteristics, as well as air, soil and water pollution. However, at that time I found that it does not satisfy me and I must try to reach a bigger dream, that is, knowing how is life in deep sea! Thus, I entered University of Hormozgan in Bandar Abbas to study Marine Biology.
I entered the University of Hormozgan in Bandar Abbas to study marine biology on the Persian Gulf coast and pursued every opportunity to work with different research groups. I first joined a team studying sea cucumbers and the data from this work was presented at a national conference in 2008. In my second semester I was accepted to work at the Persian Gulf Biotechnology Research Center (PGBRC) in Bandar Abbas - working in the center gave me the chance to gain further experience working with teams in addition to conducting laboratory experiments. At this time I also learned scuba diving and became a highly-qualified diver. Among the scientists I had the pleasure to work under were the following respected leaders:
Professor Nasrin Moazami (holder of the Palm Academic Award from the French government)
Dr. Shahin Farhangi
Dr. Isabelle Carletti from France.
I shifted my focus to work as a consultant and technical researcher at the private Shahr-e-Sabz Company. During my time there I led the environmental impacts assessment of a new compost factory project - concurrently I began work as an operations manager for the Bandar Abbas Wastewater Treatment Plant. These two opportunities allowed me to assess the impacts of wastewater on the environment as well as to gain an understanding of the fundamentals of large wastewater treatment plant operations. Although I was extremely busy with my jobs and research activities during my masters course I remained focused on my thesis covering the coral reefs off Larak Island. My hard work resulted in an interesting papers that elicited praise from my professors and I received the maximum grade possible (20 out of 20.)
I returned to my hometown in 2011 to assist my family and obtained a position as a research assistant in the Artemia and Aquatic Animals Research Institute of Urmia University. At the Institute I commenced work on a project entitled “Documenting And Analyzing The Ecological Changes In Urmia Lake" in conjunction with researchers from The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami. Working with this institute greatly expanded my knowledge of planning research projects and analyzing the ecological processes in inland waters and lake ecosystems. Although I was far from the Persian Gulf I kept in contact with the research groups working in the Gulf: I assisted a group of researchers at Azad University studying sea grasses in the Gulf, assisting them in documenting the distribution of seagrass throughout the Persian Gulf [I also took a role as guest lecturer teaching the courses 'Aquaculture Engineering' and 'Aquaculture Of Crustaceans And Mollusks' for the B.Sc. students majoring in fisheries at a local university.]
In 2013, I found a special position as a marine researcher in the Bushehr University of Medical Sciences. I had the pleasure to encounter one the most influential scientists in Iran, Prof. Iraj Nabipure, director of the Marine Medicine Biotechnology Center. He expanded my horizons and way of thinking immensely. I was given the opportunity to teach PhD students in the university (this was the first time in Iran that an individual with only a masters degree could teach PhD students in a university.) Prof. Nabipoure encouraged me to pursue a PhD degree outside Iran, greatly affecting the course of my life as I soon received a scholarship to study in Rio de Janeiro.
Prof. Iraj Nabipure
Technical and Specialized Skills
Impactful professional devoted to design of moving websites and digital marketing
Highly-imaginative filmmaker with 4 years of experience producing varied promotional videos
PADI Advanced, SIMAS One Star Diver; 10 years of SCUBA diving experience.
Knowledge in foraminifera and marine benthic community studies.
Knowledge in coral reef mesocosm experiments designing.
Knowledge in coral reef restoration
Knowledge in geochemistry studies on reefs.
Experienced in water and sediment chemical examinations in marine ecosystems.
Knowledge of hard coral taxonomy.
Expert in reef check method and ecological studies on coral reefs.
Experience on chemical and microbial pollutions of water and marine ecosystems.
Background in grass studies
Proficient with Microsoft Office and statistical packages such as SPSS.
User of Coral Point Count with Excel extensions (CPCe) software
Knowledge of some lab techniques such as; HPLC, PCR, FPLC, X-ray Microtomography (Micro-CT) and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
1. NabipouraI, Moradi M and Mohebb H. (2015). A First record on population of the alien venomous jellyfish, Cassiopea Andromeda (Forsskål, 1775) (Cnidaria: Scyphozoa: Rhizostomea) in the Nayband Lagoon from Bushehr-Iran (Persian Gulf). Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 7(3):1710-1713.
2. Moradi M., Malekzadeh Viayeh R. and Eshaghi Rad J. (2014). Biodiversity of scleractinian corals in the reefs of Qeshm and Larak Islands of the Persian Gulf, in association with environmental variables, Journal of Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 94(5), 907–916.
3. Feary A.D., Burt J., Bauman A.G., Al-Hazeem Sh.A., Al-Moati M.A., Al-Khalifa Kh., Anderson D., Amos C., Baker A., Bartholomew A., Bento R, Cavalcante G., Chenm A., Coles S., Dab K., Fowler A., George D., Grandcourt E., Hill R., John D., Jones D., Keshavmurthy Sh., Mahmoud H., Moradi M., Mostafavi P.G., Naser H., Pichon M., Purkis S., Riegl B., Samimi K., Sheppard Ch., Vajed S.J., Voolstra Ch. And Wiedenmann J. (2012). Critical research needs for identifying future changes in Gulf coral reef ecosystem, Marine Pollution Bulletin72(2),406-416.
4. Moradi M., Kamrani E., Shokri M.R., Ranjbar M.Sh. and Askari M.(2010). First record of two hard coral species (Faviidae and Siderastreidae) from Qeshm Island (Persian Gulf, Iran).Nusantara Bioscience2(1),34-37.
5. Shojae F., Kamrani E., Shokri M.R., Ranjbar M.Sh., Moradi M. and Askari M. (2010). New records of three hard coral species from north east of Larak Island (Persian Gulf, Iran). Marine Biodiversity Records, (3), 65-71.
6. Janfaza S., Purmajidiyan M.R., Moradi M. (2013). Study of the ecological status of Iranian yew herbal towards its revival in Iran and the world in recent years, Annals of Biological Research, 5(2), 68-71.
Paper under review
Mahdi Moradi, Jonatã Barbosa Teixeira, Carla Semiramis Silveira & Catia Fernandes Barbosa. (2020). Time Is Running Out For Our Coral Reefs: they are not ready to accept, artificial human made products to help them yet, Nature Communications.
1. Mahdi M, Nabipour I, Jafaza E, (2015). Coral Reef Distraction in Busher's Coastal Beaches with Incredible speed in Persian Gulf, Iran, Coral Reefs of the Gulf Conference, 15th-17th February 2015 at New York University Abu Dhabi.
2. Janfaza S., Moradi M., Janfaza E. (2014). Restoring mangrove ecosystem in contrast with human threats under the globalization. The Second International Conference on Persian Gulf: Opportunities and Challenges 5th-6th March 2014.
3. Moradi M., Askari M., Ranjbar M. Sh., Zangiabadi S. and Bagherinia A. (2012). The Study of relationship between Red Tide and increase in polychaetes worms growth in Naz Island reefs, Persian Gulf. The 17th National & International Iranian Biology Conference, University of Kerman.
4. Askari M., Moradi M. and RanjbarM.Sh. (2012). First report on observation of five species of Nudibranchias in the reefs of Qeshm and Larak Islands, Persian Gulf. The 17th National & International Iranian Biology Conference, University of Kerman.
5. Askari M., Moradi M. and Ranjbar M.Sh. (2012). The Study of planktonic bloom (Red Tide) effects on hard coral health in Naz Island, Persian Gulf. The 17th National & International Iranian Biology Conference, University of Kerman.
6. Moradi M., Ranjbar M.Sh., Askari M. and Bagherinia A. (2012). The study of diversity Hard Coral in Qeshm Island, Persian Gulf, Iran, Coral Reefs of the Gulf Conference, New York University-Abu Dhabi Institute.
7. Moradi M., Shokri M.R. and Ranjbar M. Sh. (2010). The effects of industrial expansion on corals species diversity in Qeshm Island (Persian Gulf, Iran), Euro ISRS symposium: Reefs in a changing environment, Netherlands.
8. Moradi M., Kamrani E., Shokri M.R., Ranjbar M.Sh. and Askari M. (2010). The study of species diversity and abundant of Hard Corals in Qeshm Island. The 16th National and 4th International Conference of biology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad (FUM), Iran, September 14-16.
9. Moradi M., Shojae F., Kamrani E., Shokri M.R., Ranjbar M.Sh. and Askari M. (2010). The study of species diversity and abundant of Hard Corals in the West of Larak Island. The 16th National and 4th International Conference of biology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad (FUM), Iran, September 14-16.
10. Moradi M., Kamrani E., Shokri M.R., Ranjbar M.Sh. and Askari M. (2010). Study of diversity and abundant Species of Hard Coral in South Qeshm Island, 8th conference of Marine Sciences and Technology (CMST), Iran.
11. Moradi M., Teimory A., Askari M., Esmaeili H.R. and Shojaei F. (2009). Morphology of some external structure in two classes of Echinoderms from Costal of Qeshm Island., the 6th Scientific Conference on Fisheries sciences. Basrah – Iraq, 3-4 March.
12. Dabbagh R. and Moradi M. (2008). Study of Structure Population juvenile Sea Cucumber (Bohadschia sp) in Bandare Lengeh Beaches, The first National Conferences of Fishery Sciences & Aquatic Organism, Lahijan, Iran.
The Species Recorded on Australia Museum Website
Moradi M., Records of five species of Nudibranchia from the Larak & Qeshm Islands, North of Persian Gulf. Australia Museum Website.
1. Zounthoussp and Cassiopeasp species identification by PCR techniques, Persian Gulf Marine Medicine Biotechnology Research Center, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran (2014).
2. The monitoring of Sea Urchin population in the coastal bed of Nayband Marine-Coastal National Park, Persian GulfMarine Medicine Biotechnology Research Center, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran(2013).
3. The Study of human effects on coral reefs in Khark and Kharku Islands and Busheher's Beaches of Persian Gulf, Persian Gulf Marine Medicine Biotechnology Research Center, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Bushehr, Iran (2013).
4. Study of abrupt climate change in the history of the Lake Urmia, NW Iran, (worked on the biological aspects of the project and provided a chapter on Biological Overview of the Lake Urmia), Iranian National Institute for Oceanography and Atmospheric Science and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, USA (2012).
5. Documentation and analysis of the ecological changes in Urmia Lake in a 40-year period, Artemia and Aquatic Animals Research Institute, Urmia University, Iran (2012).
6.Study of Sea Grass in Bandar Abbas beaches, Bandar Abbas Azad University and Iranian Department of Environment (2011).
7. Environmental Impacts Assessment of a Compost Factory in Bandar Abbas. Submitted to the Department of Environment of Bandar Abbas, Iran, Project Number: 89/1/10/625 (2010).
8. Networking of SGP Projects in Qeshm, Project Number: IRA/SGP/OP4/RAF/08/11 (102) (2009).
Persian Gulf coral reefs and Tissue Engineering, Mahdi Moradi, Tooba Varaesteh and Iraj Nabpour, Persian Gulf Research Center, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences Press, Iran. ISBN: 978-600-5032-68-0, 250 pages.
Workshops and presentations
Moradi M, Oral presentation entitled “Coral reef Restoration and Protection in Persian Gulf” Department of Environment, Tehran (September 2012) and Busheher University of Medical Sciences (February 2014), Iran.
Moradi M, Oral presentation entitled“ Red tide in the Qeshm Island” Payam Noor University, QeshmIsland, Iran, 2008.
Moradi M, Oral presentation entitled “Red tide in the Qeshm Island” Qeshm Utilities Company, Qeshm Island, Iran, 2008.
Holding a national workshop with the topic Coral Reef in the Persian Gulf under auspices of Hormozgan University, Bandar Abbas, Iran, 2010.
1. Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Iran, to PhD Research Students in Marine Medicine Biotechnology (Sep, 2013- Feb 2014).
i. Marine Ecology.
2. Afagh Higher Education Institute, Urmai, Iran, for B.Sc. students (2012).
i. Aquaculture engineering.
ii. Crustacean and Mollusks Aquaculture.
3. Workshop on Sensitive Habitats in the World, Hormozgan Academic Center for Education, Culture and Research (ACECR),The Education Course on Principles of GIS and RS in Marine Environment, Iran,(Workshop Instructors: Mahdi Moradi and Ali Chupani), 23- 25 October 2010.
4. Identification of hard Corals in the Persian Gulf, Workshop on Coral Reefs in Persian Gulf, Hormozgan University, (Workshop Instructors: Hamzeh Valavi, Mohammad Sharif Ranjbar and Mahdi Moradi), Iran, 27 February- 1 March 2010.
Prof. Andre Droxler Rice, Reefs through time, Rice University, Oceanographic Institute of the University of São Paulo, 23-27 May, 2016.
Prof. Anthony E. Rathburn, Ecology and biogeochemistry of benthic foraminifera and applications for (paleo) environmental studies, Universidade Federal Fluminense, 16-20 November 2015.
II International School Globo Atlântico, Cooperation between UFF-PRES Sorbonne Universités- Arraialdo Cabo (RJ) Brazil, 16 to 22 August 2015.
Prof. Patricia Backwell, Fiddler Crab behavior and ecology in coastal water of Persian Gulf, University of Hormozgan, Bandar Abbas, Iran, 13-16th April 2008.
Dr. Michael Gordon King, Stock Assessment and Management of prawn Fishery in the Persian Gulf, University of Hormozgan, Bandar Abbas, Iran, 15-19th Nov 2008.
Dr. Tsutmou Nishida, Stock Assessment and Fisheries on Tuna and Tuna like Species in the Persian Gulf, 31 January– 1 February 2009.
Training Course in chemical and physical analysis in the marine sediments, September 2015, Universidade Federal Fluminense.
Training Course in Foraminifera studies in the marine sediments, November 2015, Universidade Federal Fluminense.
Training Course in some lab techniques such as; HPLC, PCR and FPLC, March 2014.
CMAS Diving Course (One Star) in the Qeshm Island, Iran, April 2008.
Training Course in Marine Mammals Behaviors at the Dolphin Park in the Kish Island, Iran, August 2008.
PADI Diving Course (Advance Open Water) in the Qeshm Island, Iran, April 2010.
Training Course on Microbial, Physical and Chemical Water and Waste Water Examinations Laboratory of Water Treatment, Urmia, Iran, February 2007.
Training Course on Microbial, Physical and Chemical Water and Waste Water in the Department of Environmental Research Center, Urmia, Iran, April-June 2007.
Training Course on Microbial, Physical and Chemical Water Examinations, Urmia, Iran, November- December 2004.
Coral Reef restoration
Scleractinian corals reproduction physiology
Coastal ecosystem ecology
Photography and Videography
My work as a PhD candidate was a fantastic experience that allowed me to grow in many ways. My mentor in Iran also challenged me to find ways to develop my talents outside my PhD program. After much searching I decided to learn underwater photography and video recording because I could also use these skills in my academic career and they soon became my passions! I then found that I needed to learn video editing to enhance my images and video footage, and naturally these should be shared on websites so I mastered website creation From there my passions expanded to include drone photography.
After I received my drone my life started to change rapidly. At the same time that I was creating scientific and artistic photos and videos I was also creating a new version of myself, both as artist and entrepreneur. I began to learn many things about digital marketing in ecotourism - digital marketing is now my field and my hobby. I am able to create all type of professional websites for any business, online markets with affiliate marketing programs and optimize SEO to increase website rankings in internet searches. I have a impressive filmmaker experience – although most of my work cannot be shared due to confidentiality agreements I will be happy to share my own work in the field that I love!